INTRODUCING HALF-EMPTY GIRL: THE BUDDING EXPLORATIVE POET FROM WARRINGTON, ENGLAND

Source: @vacantlyvertigo on Twitter / © Maddie Maycock
Writing about a creation that was spilled directly from the mind of your friend can be a daunting and sometimes awkward thing - particularly when it comes to poetry. Poetry is an art that requires mental discipline alongside a willingness to be unapologetically true - regardless of the words you find yourself scribbling onto paper at four o'clock in the morning - and can arguably be interpreted as an ostentatious craft. I can't deny that I was cautious in approaching Half-Empty Girl's first book, 'I Cried In Colour', but a faith lulled in me and I honestly knew that Maddie would absolutely ace it. As much as she could do so in a book with such dark undertones, I must add, but she did nonetheless. 

The gut-wrenchingly real nature of this book really struck me, firing goosebumps so intense that I think some must have pimpled in my veins, too. Maddie Maycock, a seventeen-year-old pioneer, truly tears herself open with the sharpness of her words and allows every fibre of her being to meld with the pages of this self-published book. Her vulnerability regarding the ugly sides of mental health is revolutionary. Maddie refuses to censor such macabre topics with the intention of developing societal understanding, evoking a sense of admiration from all that engage with the book. 

Chances are, you've heard about a supposed incline in mental health issues among the youth, steadily increasing with each generation. However, this is not necessarily the case - mental health issues have always been underlying in society, it's just that we are now being more vocal about it. Raising awareness and exposing the dark underbelly of the world and minds we occupy have become motives for individuals, particularly young people. Maddie chose to take on part of this responsibility, detailing the inner mechanisms of Half-Empty Girl (a nice subtle nod to Paramore there, very charming) in such a painfully relatable way to many young people. The ties that this book has to the mental reality of many is a hard pill to swallow, but a necessary one. Maddie has brought many widely ignored topics such as anxiety and loneliness to the forefront of the audience's mind, gently forcing them to acknowledge these issues and consider them on an internal level. People that experience the detailing in 'I Cried In Colour' are able to digest their thought processes in a sickeningly beautiful way, while those that do not, are exposed to such subjects through raw, uncut realism that is tinged with an elegant writing style. 

'As I drop my eyes, / They are opened to a room of circus malevolence, / Psychedelic paintings echo through my ears, / I feel intertwined with the delusion I have awoken to.' - Anxiety, page 19


Source: @vacantlyvertigo on Twitter / © Maddie Maycock
In a further act of selflessness, Maddie vowed to contribute a portion of her earnings from the success of this book to the mental health charity, Mind. With over one-hundred and thirty-five Mind centers in England and Wales, the organisation is accessible by telephone, 0300 123 3393 or email, info@mind.org.uk'We provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding. We won't give up until everyone experiencing a mental health problem gets support and respect.', their website states.

'Profanity A.M.', 'Hourglass', 'Transparent' and 'May #1' stand among my favourite poems from this solemnly blissful anthology. Their diversion from a standard poetic structure allows them, in particular, to accurately document the disheveled feelings that are often paired with mental illness.

I couldn't have imagined a better person to commit to spreading such a needed message. Maddie's consideration does not end when her pen leaves the page or when her fingers leave the keys. She continues to distribute herself among the community, reaching out to those that need support with her genuine approachability and warmth. And in writing this, I radiate nothing but pride at the fact that I'm able to support this creator in this way. Maddie, I hope my words did as much justice to you as you have done for your readers. Your tireless care and extensive effort do not go unnoticed! 

Source: @vacantlyvertigo on Twitter / © Maddie Maycock
Follow Maddie on Twitter to find details on how to order a copy of 'I Cried In Colour', and donate to Mind, here. I understand why some readers may deem this feature as biased because I know Maddie personally, but this anthology is genuinely heartbreaking in the most awakening way. I highly recommend that you buy a copy and support a vital cause - your money will go into a lifesaving movement and will support a young creator, so why not?